Friday, September 26, 2008

So much for saved gas money...

Yesterday I was issued a Traffic Citation on my bicycle (yes on my bicycle)

Before I step on my soap box I would like to give you some background information. Baxter Street is a moderately busy street leading directly to UGA Campus. Baxter has quite a few small cross streets that lead to student dormitory housing.

Yesterday while riding my bike home from work, cycling down Baxter street on the shoulder of the road, adjacent to the sidewalk I approached a red light on Finley Street. I slowed my bike down, the single car waiting at the light proceeded through the short light. I yielded, looked both ways, and proceeded across the street on the crosswalk with two other pedestrians. The light changed seconds later and cars proceeded through the light then I heard sirens going off directly behind me, when I turned around I realized there was a cop actually pulling me over.

After handing over my license the officer returned with a traffic citation for running a red light. Everything on the ticket was issued as if I were in a car. Except where it said vehicle make: Schwinn. The officer was quick to explain to me that all laws that apply to cars and motorcycles apply to bike riders. Who knew? I thought riding on the sidewalk was law abiding, apparently not. Is their an additional clause about children? Well, it looks like I need to read up on current laws for traffic citations.

In the last 21 hours since my run-in with the cop I have counted 9 cyclist criminals who broke the same law that I did.

At 6:22 AM this morning when leaving my apartment I set off for my usual commute. The sky was still black, I only saw 8 other cars on my ride. I waited patiently at empty intersections for every single red light, it took me 7 extra minutes to ride by bike to work. One hundred and fifteen dollars later I am wondering if I should go back to commute by car. Oh well, such is life, here's to lifetime fitness and keeping our earth green!

And to the cranky cop: FYI you left a few important blanks on my citation that need to be filled.
vehichle: schwinn. make: 1998 frontier. color: myrtle green.

10 scrumptious secrets:

Mary Mitchell said...

Natalie, you should go to your court date for that! No way should you have to pay that. Hopefully a judge would be more understanding than the officer who gave you the ticket. Ridiculous!

Ashley Smith said...

I agree, also totally keep count in a diary the amount of cyclist "criminals" you see each day until then. Then when you get into the judge you can show him. That is dumb, I wonder if the cop would even show up to court on that day to defend the ticket?? probably not

Jill said...

oh, this is funny! That cop must have been lookin for trouble...what a silly ticket...but such a funny story!

Courtney said...

that is sooo rich.

Charlotta-love said...

Seriously?! SERIOUSLY I've never heard of such craziness. Seriously?!?!

M said...

Haha! Oh my goodness. And to think... the girl driving the car who HIT Jonny on his bike didn't even get a warning!

Jared and Katy said...

That is crazy ridiculous, I'm sorry about that it stinks and just to let you know I see people breaking the law all the time also!

Courtney said...

so i really want to hear this dream. send me a message on facebook? or you could email me: max04001@byui.edu.

Jill said...

WOW! 115$ thats insane that was probably half the price of your bike! thats totally ridiculous! you should fight it just out of ridiculousness!!

Julia Gulia said...

Natalie, that is a little lame. Maybe you should roller-blade to work???...