Thursday, May 7, 2009

twilight

This post actually has nothing to do with vampires or Edward Cullen. In Athens, Georgia when people talk about Twilight it is usually about Twilight Criterium, a professional nighttime 60 km bike race around the historic downtown. This single race is my favorite Athens event of the entire year (even to AthFest which I absolutely love.) History of Twilight (I found this online and thought it was rather interesting--I pasted this straight from the website)

Founded in 1980 by Gene Dixon, the Athens Twilight Criterium was the first nighttime race in the United States in over 60 years. What began as one race with 40 competitors has since grown to offer eight separate race classes and 150 cyclists competing in the main event, the men's criterium, a 60-km race around downtown Athens.
Heralded by VeloNews as the "Criterium Not To Miss" and voted first by their poll of professional and amateur racers, Twilight is a highlight of the pro cycling season. For the past 18 years, the Twilight has been part of the National Cycling Calendar, and it hosts the largest and oldest handcycle race in the United States. The Twilight has always stood apart from other criteriums and is popular not just with racers, but with its huge crowd of spectators, consistently drawing over 30,000 spectators and some of cyling's hottest stars to the streets of the Classic City annually.
Twilight's location in the thriving entertainment district of downtown Athens and its consistently large, passionate crowd ensure the Twilight's special status. Athens' uniqueness and charm is supported by the thousands of UGA graduates who view the Twilight as a homecoming occasion. Second only to football games, it is the largest event in Athens and is the highest income-producing weekend of the year for downtown retailers. Over one million people have viewed the Athens Twilight over its 29-year history.
The Twilight weekend has become an annual springtime tradition in Athens, as well as attracting spectators and participants from around the world. Professional athletes and spectators comment that there is no other event anywhere in the world as diverse and all encompassing as the Athens Twilight.
The entire weekend is filled with activities, amateur cycling events, lots of food, a 5k run and live music. This year we didn't have time to attend everything (which I'd love to do sometime). But Friday night we were able to go listen to some Jazz and see the virtual time trial events. We attended with our cute friends Morgan and David.


Aside from the obvious (that I love sporting events), I love Twilight because of the fun atmosphere and the social aspects of it all. This year on Saturday night we went with a large group of friends and barbecued before the big race. Here are some of the gals and Josh and Wes. Sadly we didn't get a huge group picture of us all.
Here is a picture of our group lining the street waiting for the event to start.


I love watching the cyclists zoom by, it is practically impossible to get a picture, the end picture usually turns out like a blur. The picture on the right (below) is right when many cyclists crashed (tragic I know), these two guys came really close allowing for one of two successful shots of the night. If you look closely you can see some of the cyclists who fell off their bikes. The picture on the right was at the beginning of the women's race.

After watching on the streets for a while we decide to get an aerial view. We hike many sets of stairs and found ourselves on top of the college street parking deck. This may be the best place to watch the race because it is really easy to spot out each of the teams and track different strategies. But from all biking aside, I love the pretty views of Athens.


I think the courthouse is so beautiful at night. Please notices the streaky lines on the street (those are actually cyclists).


Josh and I are already counting down the days until next year when we can attend Twilight. I may even possibly enter in an amateur race. For all of my west coast friends---it would be a perfect weekend to come visit us (hint, hint).

0 scrumptious secrets: