Last weekend Josh and I ventured to the Athens Farmers Market for the first time. This market was much different than the market I was accustomed to growing up. In Washington, every summer my family would arise early Saturday mornings and head to the farmers market in Pasco to fill our bags with every vegetable or fruit imaginable. The produce was all so cheap! The market would be packed and all sorts of people would be there. The Athens Farmers Market is rather small, everything is high priced and organic. Each booth has the uniform white tent and the name of the restaurant that sponsors the farm. Josh and I wanted to get something different. We left with our bags full of okra and eggplant. The man we purchased from asked how we planned to cook the okra and suggested grilling it and making a creamy lemon horseradish sauce. We found a similar recipe to what he recommended at home in our Southern Living Cookbook. Four days later Josh and I have no more eggplant or okra. I think we found our new favorite snack; thank you Mr. Farmer! Josh and I had a good experience at the farmers market but I'll have to blog about our experience about J&J's later because it was amazing and we are hooked.
Thursday, August 14, 2008
oodles of okra
Posted by Natalie at 1:26:00 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 scrumptious secrets:
I went to the farmer's market once and purchased okra. A week later I had to throw out the okra. I, uh, didn't succeed in learning how to cook it. I may need some lessons or recipes.
Post a Comment